In 1955, Upper Lodge Road and the view from the Armitage New Road looked very different!. Above is the map of prefabs superimposed onto a recent map of Upper Lodge road leading to Rectory Lane, as well as the two clear maps next to each other to show the difference in this area.
In the mid 60’s, the prefab residents were re-housed whilst new flats, houses and retirement bungalows were built. The prefab residents were then offered properties in the new development at Upper Lodge Road. The turning circle at the top of Upper Lodge Road was extended to complete the connection of Rectory Lane during this redevelopment. In the early 1970’s, Dawes Close and Rectory Lane houses were built.
Actual photo of Upper Lodge Road prefabs that lined the streets back in 1955.