The War Memorial, sited on New Road in Armitage, adjacent to the car park at the end of Shropshire Brook Road, is a Grade II listed structure.
Armitage with Handsacre War Memorial was unveiled by Brigadier-General Stewart CMG DSO on 15 February 1920, in memory of the parishioners who fell in the First World War. It was designed and executed by Messrs Bridgeman and Sons of Lichfield.
After the Second World War an inscription on a new stone was added to the base in memory of those who fell in that conflict. The memorial was originally erected on the corner of Boat House Lane and Rugeley Road on a plot donated by Mr Hiram Moorcroft, but was moved c300m to the east to New Road at a later date. This ground was donated by Armitage Ware Ltd and the small memorial garden in which it now stands was designed by Mr D Shaw, the company gardener. The memorial was re-dedicated in 1969. In 2014 conservation and repair work was carried out, funded by War Memorials Trust.
The memorial stands in a small garden on the south side of New Road. Built of sandstone, it is a tall Calvary with an octagonal shaft that stands on a tapering square plinth. A shield embossed with lettering is carved on the front face of the shaft below the crucifixion, and a small stone wreath ornaments the foot of the shaft. The plinth stands on a low, round, step. That is raised on a platform shaped in plan as a square intersecting a quatrefoil. A segment of stone stands in front of the plinth on the round step.
There are 46 names engraved on the War Memorial, built in honour of these who lost their lives in WW1. There are a further 9 names inscribed on the memorial to those who died fighting in WWII. The memorial is the responsibility of the Royal British Legion in Armitage, and the site is protected by Historic England.